Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Why Mongo?

Mongo is my 'trail name'
It all started the first year I attended Coyote Four Play (C4P as it is often referred - sadly no longer held) the folks 'in charge' (HA, more like the inmates running the asylum - the JABOYS, Just Another Bunch of Yahoos - and the best bunch of folks you could ask for to support your trail running holiday) wanted a name to put on our Bowling Shirts (Bowling and Trail Running? Are you kidding me? No, actually, that was part of the 'fun'...) Choosing a name....well, when in the later stages of a 100 mile race, most back-of-the-pack folks like myself can tell you how the brain starts working at the most basic levels; like no really articulate thought. Who better to personify this than good old Alex Karras' adored character (from Blazing Saddles) Mongo! ("Mongo not know, think it have something to do with the choo-choo...") I mean, I can't count the number of times I have had the attitude like 'Mongo hungry' or 'Mongo like downhill'
You know what I mean...or DO you?

No comments: