Saturday, July 12, 2008

Hardrock 100 Maggie to Cunningham

Cunningham Gulch 91.3mi 22:52-23:01 8 minutes in the aid station (2:52)

(over Buffalo Boy Ridge, Canby Mountain, Stony Pass and Green Mountain)

Had an awesome sandwich at Maggie’s but no time to eat it all, so the kind aid station helper cut it in half and put half in a zip lock bag to carry with me while I ate the rest. David was picking up Fred Abramowitz as a pacer so I decided to try and stay with them. We made short work of the first big climb and just kept on going. After a while, though, I started getting cold again so I put on my jacket. I felt like such a wimp – here was Fred with a visor, long sleeve shirt and shorts. And it didn’t look like he was carrying anything else to wear!
Once it started getting dark (I was just in time to get a photo of the sunset while we were on Green Mountain) we broke out our lights. I decided to lead with my Fenix L2P handheld and Brunton L3 headlamp; the same setup I had last year. It is a great combination for finding course markers on the cross-country sections, if they aren’t on edge as you are looking at them, of course – those are the really frustrating ones…

We started the long descent into the basin and finally along the ridge that leads to the cliff side switchbacks. This was definitely one of those sections that I didn’t remember being so long climbing last year but seemed to have taken forever descending…and even more treacherous in the downhill direction, particularly now that it was dark. After what seemed like an eternity we arrived at the road…just a short jaunt (which actually seemed longer than it should have been)and we were at Cunningham Aid Station.

No comments: